I would have let you love me
I would have died a thousand times before
Letting you see the certainty
That your love will never be
Enough for me
I would have let you hold me
And I would ask a hundred questions
To make certain your intentions
Were pure and good and true
But I couldn’t do the same
For you.
I would have let you kiss me
I would let you put your face on mine
And hold my hands until the end of time
But if you asked me to kiss your sorest spot
I’m afraid that’s simply
Asking a lot
I would have let you keep me
In a box with all your favorite things
Candy and roses and diamond rings
But inside I would rot away
And resent your love
For making me stay.
I would have let you love me
I’m certain it’s nicer than bleeding out
A love with roots immersed in doubt
That colors red all the thoughts in my head
And turns ambition into dread
I would still let you love me
If it were possible to be
In love with you the same way
As you have always
Loved me.
No comments:
Post a Comment